Otter Farm & Home Co-operative (Otter Co-op) has over 50,000 members with services in Food, Feed, Petroleum, Pharmacy, Hardware and Liquor in various retail locations across the Lower Mainland, Fraser Valley and Interior, with sales in excess of $250 million annually.
We are a different kind of business: we are locally invested, are community-minded and offer lifetime membership benefits including patronage refunds, quality products, quality services and fair prices.
Otter Co-op invites applications for the position of Human Resources Advisor in our Administration Office located in Aldergrove, British Columbia.
Reporting to the Director of Human Resources, the Human Resources Advisor is responsible for providing superior HR services, leadership and technical advice to the retail in the areas of talent acquisition, talent development, employee relations, disability management and learning and development. The HR Advisor will assist the HR Director to enhance the organization by ensuring compliance and alignment of HR practices and processes with the retails’ vision, mission and objectives.
The specific responsibilities of the Human Resources Advisor include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Talent Management - Provide coaching and support to team leaders and team members on all aspects of talent management practices (performance management, engagement, succession planning, employee/leadership development, etc.).
- Talent Acquisition and Development – Lead the full cycle talent acquisition process for non-management team members. Oversee the on-boarding process and facilitate New Team Member Orientation sessions. Attend local Career Fairs at the Colleges and Universities in the communities we serve.
- Employee Relations – Work directly with Team Leaders and Supervisors in situations specific to jurisdictional employment/labour standards to advise, guide and support. Ensure consistency of approach and compliance relating to policy and protocol interpretation. Conduct investigations as required and provide sound reasoning and judgement to support decisions. Research and help in preparation for dispute resolution, investigations and other projects as required.
- Learning and Development – Develop a well-rounded knowledge base of training programs in order to support talent development and succession planning needs.
- Disability Management - Work collaboratively with Team Leaders, Safety & Asset Protection to administer and support the Ability Management Program, WorkSafe BC Claims and Long-Term Disability Claims Management.
Maintain accurate files, data and reporting.
- Provide ongoing communication with managers and employees regarding proper procedures and Industry Best Practices for all HR Services.
- Assist Payroll & Benefits Coordinator with special projects and provide relief coverage for payroll transmission as required.
- Hours of work will be dependent on the operational needs and at certain times throughout the year, work hours may include early mornings, late evenings, Saturdays and Sundays.
Some travel required to attend sites in the Lower Mainland, Fraser Valley and Interior. Occasional travel (1-3 times per year) may be required to attend conferences and training in B.C., Alberta and Saskatchewan.
- Contribute to the Team in living the Corporate Values of Integrity, Community and Excellence
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
We are looking for a strategic team player to join our fast-paced and growing team in this role. The ideal candidate has exceptional communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills and is extremely organized, detailed and thorough. Our ideal candidate is passionate about HR and seasoned in experience and skillset (5+ years of progressive related HR experience). A University Degree (focus on business/HR preferred), and CPHR designation is required.
The ideal candidate for this role has experience advising and supporting in a generalist capacity and has a sound understanding of provincial and federal employment legislation. A strong computer and technical background is necessary including effective working skills in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and e-mail is required. Understanding of HRIS and Time & Attendance systems is an asset.
The successful applicant will be subject to a background security clearance and criminal records check. A valid Driver’s License is required for travel to a variety of retail locations in Southern British Columbia. Some out-of-province travel required to attend conferences.
This may be the perfect opportunity for you! Be a part of an organization that makes a difference! Last year Otter Co-op donated over $270,000 to a variety of local charities and community organizations. Otter Co-op offers a diverse and supportive work environment based on our Core Company Values of Integrity, Community and Excellence, as well as some of the following:
- Full benefits plan including Extended Health Care, Dental, Life Insurance and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Employer Matched Pension Plan (6% matched)
- Employee and Family Assistance Plan
- Competitive wages paid bi-weekly & Bonus Incentive Plan
- Retail Purchase Rebate
- Employee Referral & Service Recognition Programs
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Excellent opportunities for further development and advancement with an established dynamic company
- Extended Health, Dental, Life Insurance, and Travel Insurance premiums are 100% employer paid. LTD premiums are 100% employee paid.
- At Co-op, we embrace diversity and inclusion, and we are working to create a workplace that is as diverse as the communities we serve. We support and provide an environment that allows all to bring their whole selves to work.
All successful candidates will be required to undergo a background check.
We would like to thank everyone for their applications, however only candidates that will be moving forward in the interview process will be contacted.
To apply, please click here